Abandoned Vermont: Manchester Inn is one of the more popular posts in the series. The inn was the subject of debate when it closed and then again when it was scheduled for demolition to make way for a new hotel. While there was much concern about the new hotel, the architecture fits in with the historic district setting. Have you seen it? What do you think? If you haven’t, take a look at website: Taconic.
The inn has had a few names. Here’s a quick list:
- 1907: opens as the Orchard Park Hotel
- 1919: bought by Julia and James Brown, renamed The Worthy Inn
- 1945-1986: various owners, name remains The Worthy Inn
- 1986: bought by Ann & Jay Degen, name changed the Village Country Inn
- 2009: Inn goes into foreclosure
A reader, Gregory, kindly sent some postcard images that he thought fans of The Worthy Inn / The Village Country Inn would enjoy. Take a look!
Thank you, Gregory!