Looking for an excuse to head to snowy, beautiful Vermont in January? If you’re interested in historic buildings, rehabilitation of buildings, and would like to learn more about building codes and ADA, then plan on visiting Vermont in January. This workshop is a great deal, you earn AIA credits, and you’ll be much more informed about the confusing rules of accessibility. See details below.
Historic Buildings, New Accessibility Rules & Codes Training Day
Wednesday, January 15, 2014
7:30 am – 3:00 pm
Vermont Technical College – ‘Old Schoolhouse’
- Some of the most common questions builders and designers have are about new accessibility requirements, modifying historic buildings, and in particular modifying historic buildings for greater accessibility.
- This seminar seeks to clarify Vermont’s building codes by bringing together three experts: from ADA-New England, the preservation community, and the Division of Fire Safety. Presentations and discussions will focus on case studies suggested by participants.
- All participants in the workshop will receive complimentary membership in BSA-VT.
- This course earns 6 AIA-HSW CEUs.
Upon completion of this seminar, participants will be better able to:
- understand and apply Vermont’s current Access Rules (based on the new version of ADA, 2010)
- understand Vermont’s categories of new construction and renovation, including which codes apply
- apply Chapter 43 of NFPA to existing and historic buildings
- evaluate the balance between requirements for new and existing construction, as well as accessibility, with historic structures
- discuss strategies for design/construction with building officials, owners, and other professionals.
- Kathy Gips, Director of Training, New England ADA Center
- Judy Hayward, Executive Director, Historic Windsor and Preservation Education Institute
- Bob Patterson, Deputy Director, Vermont Dept. Public Safety’s Division of Fire Safety
SUBMIT YOUR PROJECT QUESTIONS & CASE STUDIES!
Please email your questions about specific code and construction circumstances for review during the session to: Sandra Vitzthum
$60 per person includes the full day of training, continental breakfast, lunch. To sign up, please visit http://www.buildsafevt.org/
We have made arrangements to re-schedule the event to Jan 16 if necessary; the meeting will be held in Berlin VT if this happens. Final decision will be made by 8:30 am 1/14 and emailed to all participants. You can also check our website for updates.